Thursday, October 8, 2015

Joan on Franchot

Photo by George Hurrell

Franchot Tone had a quiet way of looking at me across a set, a capacity for giving more than a scene required... He was a tonic to me, this remarkable young man with his individuality of thought and imagination, who understood and was very patient with me, whose two hands were always filled with beauty. Franchot was of a different fiber from anyone in Hollywood.
He didn't care what people said or thought. I did, and I couldn't bear to fall in front of them...From the beginning we tried to build a life together, independent of our careers. Perhaps subconsciously I realized how important this was for him. Franchot stayed in Hollywood only because of me and his personal happiness was marred by one flaw, his professional unhappiness. He had good parts, but not the kind for which he was best suited. In the first test, which had brought him such fanfare, he played a truck driver. He never had a chance at that kind of part. Because of our marriage, he was often one of the leading men assigned to a "Crawford picture", whether the part was satisfactory to him or not.
Franchot's and my love cost him his rightful career in pictures. He could play anything with that sensitive face and heart, but he was constantly cast as a sophisticated drawing room character. He grew discouraged, his face more sophisticated, his heart more sensitive. 
 -Joan Crawford

Source: Crawford, Joan and Jane Kessner Ardmore. "Courage to Part From Love." The Miami News. August 17, 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment