Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Franchot Fan Questionnaire

My birthday falls just a few days after Franchot's, so here's a little personal Franchot-related info about me.
  • First FT movie I ever watched: Either Bombshell or The Girl From Missouri. I can't remember which one, but it was definitely a Harlow film when I was younger.
  • First FT movie that made me stand up and take notice: Three Loves Has Nancy. Although I saw many of the Harlow/Crawford movies when I was younger, I didn't really pay attention to Franchot until I saw Three Loves Has Nancy and fell in love with his performance. (I can't believe I was so clueless about Franchot for so long!)
  • Last FT movie that I watched: The King Steps Out
  • Favorite FT movies: There's no way I can pick just one or even a couple. Here are my favorites broken down by years...
    • 1933-1935: Midnight Mary, The Girl From Missouri, Gentlemen Are Born, Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Dangerous
    • 1936-1939: The Unguarded Hour, They Gave Him A Gun, Man-Proof, Between Two Women, The Bride Wore Red, Three Loves Has Nancy, Fast and Furious
    • 1940-1949: His Butler's Sister, Dark Waters, Honeymoon
    • 1950-1968: Uncle Vanya, Advise & Consent
  • Least favorite FT movie: Without Honor
  • Number of FT movies I've seen: 59
  • Number of FT movies I've not seen: 7
  • FT-related items I'm constantly in search of: candid and/or color photos, interviews and quotes, theater memorabilia.
  • Favorite FT film speeches: 
    • Defending his name in the final scenes of Mutiny on the Bounty
    • Defending Loretta Young in court in Midnight Mary
    • Asking to be released from a war he doesn't agree with in The Hour Before Dawn
    • Confronting Ben Cartwright in the final scene of the "Denver McKee" episode of Bonanza
    • Discussing the effects of aging in Uncle Vanya
  • Favorite FT Quote:
"If I ever had an image, it was the playboy, the white tie and tails, the elegant fellow with the good tailor. That was my image for the mass movie audience. But not for the theater audience. They saw me as an actor. Now my television image is the character actor. And then they see my old movies on the late show and I'm the rich playboy again." (TV Guide, 1966)
  • Favorite FT photos at the moment:

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment